We always come across these two words in industries: Scrum Master and Project Manager. Both of these roles contribute to the projects. But, it makes confusion to the new professionals who have just stepped into the project management world. It is applicable for fresher too, who are planning to build their career in project management. They remain worried about the role which they should choose to make their career? In fact, they are confused, if there is any difference between these roles or not? So let us start with scrum project management and scrum master.
A person who takes care of that scrum principles and are being followed in the projects is known as the Scrum Master. They also make sure that the team is familiar with scrum during agile projects. It is necessary to know about scrum before starting with scrum master.
Scrum Project Management?
Scrum is a framework – agile project management with Scrum. It is not a technique or a tool.
Scrum framework offers user people:
- to address complex problems with agility
- to deliver high-value products.
Generally, the Scrum framework is used in a project which deals into complex product development. Some set of rules and principles are followed in agile adaptive product development defined by Scrum. Scrum Master is a person who acts as a leader for his/her team. He/She needs to take care of the team and their understanding of scrum rules and principles. Agile practices and scrum rules are completely maintained. We can say Scrum Master is the scrum manager in adaptive iterative projects. His/her aim should be to maximize the values created by the team in agile projects.
Scrum Master Roles and Responsibilities
As I mentioned above, a Scrum Master is a team leader. He/She outspreads his/her services to the development team as well as a product manager. Let’s start understanding the Scrum Master’s responsibilities under the following titles:
Scrum Master’s services and responsibilities towards Product Owner:
- They help product owner effectively in the case of product backlog and formulates the techniques to manage the product backlogs.
- Working together with product owner they can communicate the clear product needs to the development team.
- They make sure that the product owner understands how to manage product backlog and maximize the value.
- Simplifies scrum events.
Scrum Master’s services and responsibilities towards Development Team
- Coaching and monitoring the team to follow scrum rules.
- To continue the team’s progress they help in avoiding obstructions and roadblocks.
- They take efforts to maintain team dynamics and make sure that the team should deliver high-value outcomes.
- They are responsible for a scrum meeting schedule and facilitates scrum events.
- In the case of a new team, they act as a coach or mentor and help them to adopt scrum framework.
- Also, a Scrum Master plays a vital role in scrum implementation and helps people who are going to start work in an agile environment or scrum adoption.
In short scrum master is responsible for enabling a scrum framework in an organization. Always act as a mentor or scrum guardian for scrum team to make sure their adherence to scrum rule and principles. They try to maximize the values created by the team.
Other scrum roles excluding Scrum Master:
- Product Owner:
Product Owners identifies the product backlog items and manage the product backlogs by taking help from scrum master. They are responsible for communicating accurate requirements to the development team. They are completely responsible for maintaining the record of product backlog with highest value realization. Release approvals also provided by the product owner.
- Development Team
They ensure to deliver the releasable increment of product at the end of each stage or cycle. They are the participants in daily scrums during the scrum project. They are sanctioned and also well-structured to do the development work on their own. Under the guidance of a Scrum Master, they always enhance their creativity, productivity, and flexibility.